With over 1 million burglaries occurring in the United States each year, securing your home is more crucial than ever. A security system is the best way to safeguard your household from intruders, who are three times more likely to target residences without one. Reliable alarms also protect your home from environmental hazards, energy waste and more.
Because an alarm system is a long-term investment, you should pick a reputable company that can meet your security needs. However, if this is your first time installing a system, the process may be unclear. We’ve compiled six questions you should ask to verify your security company’s reputation and learn more about your purchase. Asking the right questions ensures a smooth installation and many years of safety and comfort.
1. How Long Have You Been in Business?
Hiring an experienced company ensures you receive proper installation from reliable technicians. While you may save money with a newer company, it’s worth investing in seasoned professionals who can secure your home and give you peace of mind. Qualities of a trustworthy home security company include:
- Years of experience and a positive track record.
- Licensed for operation by both local and state governments.
- Membership in a state or national security association.
Verify all claims by calling the appropriate organizations, checking client testimonials and reviewing the company’s website.
2. Is There a Contract?
The best home security companies are upfront and honest. Your technicians should explain your purchase’s exact terms so you get the product and quality you expect. Consider asking:
- Who owns the equipment: You should determine upfront if you own the equipment or if it’s considered a lease. Clarifying this lets you know what happens to your equipment if you need to move or cancel your service.
- What happens if the system malfunctions: Consistent, flawless operation ensures your safety at all times. If your system stops working, your company needs to be easily reachable and quick to respond.
- If the system is professionally monitored: Proper surveillance prepares you for any situation. You should confirm that someone can investigate alerts around the clock or while you’re away.
- About the price: You should only pay what you expect and are willing to pay. Work with a company that offers price guarantees to protect yourself from the one thing a home security system will miss — hidden fees.
3. How Do You Ensure Client Safety?
Installing a home security system means giving technicians access to your household and sensitive information. Your chosen company should take the proper security measures to ensure safe, smooth services for its clients. These steps include:
- Conducting background checks and security clearances on all employees.
- Providing a written warranty or guarantee.
- Having liability or errors and omissions insurance.
- Being fully bonded.
- Employing certified experts.
A trustworthy company is one you can rely on for secure installations and professional monitoring. If your installation experience goes well, you can expect similar quality throughout your service.
4. What Does the System Protect Me From?
Because a home security system is a significant investment, you want the most value from your purchase. Choose a system that gives you the complete coverage you need to safeguard your loved ones and belongings. A reliable security system provides you with end-to-end protection from events such as:
- Gas leaks.
- Water pipe leakage or damage.
- Abnormal temperatures.
Modern systems can also save you time and money. From losing your keys to leaving a kitchen light on, you can rely on your system to lower your utility bills and help you tackle everyday challenges.
5. Do You Offer Systems With Advanced Safety Features?
While basic security features can still get the job done, an advanced alarm system provides more options for protection and convenience. To get the most from your service, choose a system that employs today’s technological innovations. Seek features like these to deter even the savviest burglars:
- Video surveillance: Whether you’re at work or on a well-deserved vacation, video surveillance lets you monitor your home from your mobile device.
- Smart locks: Tired of misplacing your keys? A smart lock offers convenient access and better security. Many smart lock systems also have mobile apps to transform your smartphone into the only key you’ll ever need. Some even come with cameras for remote surveillance.
- Instant notifications: If anything happens, you want to act fast. Look for systems that can send you email, phone and text notifications as soon as your alarm goes off.
6. What Does the System Come With?
What’s in the box? In addition to clarifying your terms, you should also confirm the products you’re receiving. Your home system should come with a combination of these sensors:
- Motion sensors: Motion sensors detect unusual movement using an invisible laser or light. You’ll hear the alarm or receive a mobile notification if there’s any unexpected motion.
- Ultrasonic detectors: These motion detectors are best for smaller rooms. Their high-frequency sound waves will call out any movement, so be careful!
- Impact sensors: Impact sensors are useful for detecting any heavy blows or vibrations, such as a door being kicked in or an object breaking.
- Magnetic switches: You can install a magnetic switch on windows and doors. The switch and magnet form a closed circuit that will break when someone opens the window or door, sounding the alarm. These versatile sensors make a good addition to any system.
- Environment sensors: With a range of environment sensors, you can also safeguard your home from the elements. Examples include temperature monitors, moisture detectors and fire alarms. Environment sensors are essential for any residence.
- Glass-break detectors: These sensors use small microphones to capture the sound of glass breaking or shattering. Your company will install them near windows and doors so you’ll get instant alerts.
Work with trustworthy professionals to determine which sensors are best for your household. Whatever your needs are, a high-quality system will seamlessly integrate these alarms for maximum security and convenience.
Invest in Your Safety With Prestige Security Solutions
We offer comprehensive, personalized home security solutions to our neighbors in Massachusetts, New Hampshire and beyond. When you work with us, you’ll receive a free estimate, a thorough walkthrough and professional insight from our expert staff. We’ll give you the tools and knowledge you need for a safe home and peace of mind.
At Prestige Security Solutions, our clients come first. With our transparent pricing and unparalleled quality, you’ll have a home alarm system and a team you can rely on for years. Contact us online to get started!